I have distilled the most important lessons from my experience as an entrepreneur.
To be a successful leader one needs high Emotional Intelligence. Having a high IQ and technical skills are necessary but not sufficient traits for leadership success. Emotional intelligence comprises of qualities such as:
- Self-Awareness—a clear understanding of one’s strengths and weaknesses,
- Self-Regulation—control of one’s emotions and ability to channel them to create a positive impact,
- Motivation—achievement not just for external gain but for internal fulfillment,
- Empathy—understanding of other peoples’ perspectives and feelings in making decisions, and
- Social Skills—skillful management of relationships with other people. These qualities can be developed by self-awareness and reflection.