We understand that storing and tracking people's personal information is a sensitive topic. However, knowing where our alumni are and the types of careers they explore is critical to the livelihood of the Lake Forest Graduate School of Management ("LFGSM") community and fulfilling our mission. To eliminate any mystery around what we track and why we track it, we've created this resource to address concerns about alumni data tracking. On this page, we address how your data helps LFGSM, what we collect, what we do with it and what we will not do with it, how we keep data secure, and what information we do not keep.
Any further questions can be addressed to Jessica Gardner, Alumni Relations Manager at JGardner@LFGSM.edu or by calling 847-574-5266.
At LFGSM, your success is our success and knowing where you are and what is going on in your lives strengthens the LFGSM Community. Here's how:
- We want to share news that is relevant to you – If we don't have your email, we won't be able to share important news about upcoming events, your favorite faculty members, your fellow alumni, or opportunities for lifelong learning. If we don't know that you live in Washington, DC, then as we grow our regional networks, we can't send you an invitation to an LFGSM gathering there and we can't invite you to attend events in Chicago via webcast.
- We can better help prospective students considering an LFGSM MBA – One of the primary questions we receive from prospective students is "Does anyone from my company have an LFGSM MBA?" Prospective students choose to pursue their LFGSM MBA at a significantly higher rate when we can answer in the affirmative, share aggregate data about our alumni at that company, and then connect a prospective student with a graduate in the same company (with the alum's permission, of course).
- We can better counsel current students – Students also ask about where alumni work and what they are doing post-graduation. Sometimes, they're looking to change fields and want some advice from someone who's "been there and done that" and other times they just want to know what opportunities may await them. We can also better pair alumni mentors to students when we know what you're doing now.
- We get better grant funds – Foundations want to support successful MBA programs, and being able to tell the success stories of our alumni helps us demonstrate the value of an LFGSM education.
- Your data helps us prove our mission – LFGSM is a business school that delivers a business impact. Knowing where you are and how you're helping your company and other organizations you're involved with helps us tell the LFGSM story in a measurable way.
- Your data is important to our ongoing accreditation – Just like in the business world, the world of higher education has to validate its results. Graduate level schools have continuously to prove they are delivering on their mission statements, which means more than providing graduation rates. Having complete alumni information enables us to report on relevant statistics and measure business impact.
- Your data helps us in our fundraising efforts – LFGSM is an independent, not-for-profit business school. Increasingly, our students are paying their own way, with little support from their employers in terms of tuition reimbursement. LFGSM is one of few graduate business schools that provide part-time students with scholarships. Because we strive to support as many students in need of scholarship aid as we can, 100% of your donations to the General Scholarship Fund or one of the Named Scholarship Funds directly support student aid. Your donations change lives and we wouldn't ask if we didn't have the need.
What data do we have and what data do we need you to keep updated?
In addition to primary contact information consisting of home address, home phone, and email, we are seeking to collect and validate the following information:
- We have:
- Personal information that carries over from student records: Degree, specialization, honors, gender, birth date, and ethnicity.
- Donor information: Information regarding any donation that you've made or for which you receive credit. We also keep information about scholarships you've received.
- Alumni information: Event attendance.
- We rely on you to provide and validate:
- Work information: Company name, job title, business address and phone number, industry, function, role, and length of time with company.
- Family information: Spouse's name and company. We provide your spouse's name and company to the Development Office from time to time because your spouse's company may match gifts you make to LFGSM in addition to any matches your company may make.
- Alumni information: Volunteer interests and preferences.
What do we do with your data?
Your data is used only for LFGSM purposes. Such as:
- Promoting alumni events and programming
- Institutional research, like accreditation and other statistical measures that help program development and measuring business impact
- Prospective and current student support (identifying information must be approved by each individual alum in advance; anonymous aggregate information may be provided without permission)
- Marketing to prospective students (identifying information must be approved by each individual alum in advance)
What will we not do with your data?
LFGSM will not sell your data. We do not provide it to a third party for any purpose that is not directly related to LFGSM. In a situation where we do provide alumni data to a third party, it is only when we have a contract defining a service agreement. Use of our data is contractually limited to projects related to LFGSM, and any data must be returned or destroyed at the end of the contract. Before signing a contract with a third party, we review their security systems and practices so they are consistent with our standards.
Currently, we have contracts with the following companies:
- Exact Target, Indianapolis, IN, for email marketing
- Jenzabar, Boston, MA for alumni web services
- Graphic Partners, Zion, IL for direct ail fulfillment
How do we keep the data secure?
All alumni contact information, demographic data, and donor information is kept on our secure enterprise system. Staff with access to the data have passed a criminal background check.
What information do we not keep?
The Alumni Office does not keep any financial aid records other than what is described above. The Alumni Office does not keep records about grades, but those records are maintained by the Registrar's Office. Although we handle event registrations and accept financial donations, LFGSM does not maintain any credit card information.
What about volunteers?
Volunteers serve as an extension of our staff. As such, it is sometimes important to share contact information with them. When we do, we remind volunteers that the information they are receiving is confidential and can only be used for its intended purposes.